Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Park & Sweetgrass Co.



Park County Courthouse - Livingston, MT

2000 population 15,694. Founded 1887


Indeed the rain hit was I started up the pass from Bozeman to Livingston. I had to pull off the freeway because the rain combined with temperature in side my helmet made for a visual nightmare.

The rain began to let up to a drizzle, so got back on the road and into Livingston. Notice the yellow pack on the back of the bike. It was a garage sale item for 50 cents. A heavy thick rubber white water rafting dry bag. A great asset on this trip. Clouds were threatening rain again, but I thought I could out run it to Sweetgrass Co. and Big Timber.


Sweetgrass County Courthouse - Big Timber, MT
Boy, was I ever wrong about out running the storm. I got pounded about 6 miles outside of Livingston. I looked to see if I could get off the free way and take a side road into Big Timber. Big news, No side roads that could get you from Livingston to Big Timber. I-90 Truck traffic was brutal. OTR trucks and pick-ups with trailers were making visibility scary. Now the lightning was spewing all over, and the rain was very heavy. I saw an exit sign, which meant I could seek shelter under the overpass. As approached the overpass, I was met by about 30 Harley riders who had totally blocked the road and were huddled under the bridge. I had been meeting a lot of groups of riders headed for
Sturgis on the road and a fuel stops. A quick assessment of the situation told me to turn around and hit the road. After this photo, the water spigot was turned on, and the water was running like a river down the Streets of Big Timber. I think the weather report said there was 2 inches of rain in a little over an hour. I parked the bike under a closed business awning, and ran for cover in a bar restaurant. I had supper and waited for the storm to pass. I would put me two hours behind schedule. I call my Friend Jeff to warn him I was running late. I thought if I could get to Billings by 9PM it would still be time to visit and catch a few blues sets at the festival. I gave up on my schedule after two hours in the bar. I did however have a chance to dry out. Had to bypass Still Water and Carbon Co. to make it Billings by 11:30. Festival was shut down. Jeff had to come and guide me to his house. It was a short night, as we had booked a golf T-time for 7:30 with Jeff and his dad Lonnie. I played well. Good catch up time as we had to sit out for about an hour out on the back nine. Chalk it up to the adventure. It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...